Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Hot Deal: To Invest or Not To Invest

One day, I was doing some computer-related stuff and I can't seem to find my external CD-ROM. For those who doesn't know what a CD-ROM is, it is actually the part of your computer where you put your CDs into. So, my last resort was to go to our technical office and borrow from the guys over there. I was pretty sure they have plenty of it.

When I entered the MIS technical office, Johven and Jhames weren't there. It was then that I remembered that the two went out of town. And again, it was only Ramil that was left in their office. Ramil has grown tired of going to our branches every now and then for more than 5 years and so he assigned his subordinates to handle branch servicing tasks.

Fisherman Calling. Photo Credits


Ramil was very busy talking to someone over the phone. I sat at the vacant chair behind him and waited for him to finish what he was doing. While seated, I heard Ramil saying the words "Indonesia" more than a couple of times. For sure, it's about fishing business again. I already knew that his tuna fishing boats fish for tuna in Indonesian waters.


After Ramil finished talking, it was only then the he noticed me.
"Uhm, Mil, Can I borrow your external CD-ROM?", I asked.
"Yeah sure!", Ramil replied while handing over the thing.
But before I went out I asked him another question, "How's your fishing boats doing, Mil?"
"Oh! They are in Indonesia right now. Just a while ago, the operator(boat captain) called to inform me that they just docked at Bitung, Indonesia", Ramil answered.
"Why? Are they caught?", I asked again.
"No. Our fishing boats are licensed to fish in Indonesian waters but they are required to dock once every three months at Bitung port, Indonesia.", ramil said...

Boat Docking. Photo Credits.

Out of nowhere I asked Ramil this question, "How much do you earn in a year?"
"Based on my experience, from my small boat before, I had a net profit of Php 350,000.00 in just one year. But too bad, I wasn't able to record it.", Ramil answered.
It was then that he told me the story about how he was able to acquire his very first boat which was auctioned for just "Php 60,000.00". It was old, rusty, and small but can still be used for fishing. Before, they were only fishing within few nautical miles from the shore and were only after ordinary kinds of fish. But, when they tried fishing for tuna and got good results, the operator himself did not want to settle for ordinary fish anymore. Instead, they became confident to challenge the deeper oceans with the hope to catch big tunas.

Calculator and money. Photo Credits

After learning how much one of his boats made in a year, I immediately grabbed the calculator that was in the table in front of me. I divided the amount by twelve to see if how much was the equivalent monthly income from one boat alone...
"Php 29,167.00" - A very big amount indeed and almost the same as my current salary.
"This guy could retire already!", I said to myself.
But because, I was a very big doubter, I acted like it was nothing to me and just said, "Ahh..Okay..Quite big huh?!"
Ramil noticed that I was really doubting his business...
So he said with a smile, "If you have an extra money, you may want to try investing even just a little and prove it yourself..."
And I answered, "Okay...Let me think about it...", as if I wasn't excited at all but deep inside I was really waiting for him to say that...

No comments:

Post a Comment