Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Two Boats Are Better Than One

For three consecutive months the JWDR Fishing boat, the boat where I invested my 50k, suffered major losses due to successive bad catch.

 A depressed businessman. Photo Credits

In the first month, the boat docked at Indonesia to comply with the quarterly docking requirement of their fisheries and marine bureau. They were only able to catch few tuna on their way there. The sales that it brought in was only enough to pay for the corresponding dues. Adding to that, the Indonesian Rupiah has a lower value than a Philippine peso. If I'm not mistaken, the equivalent of 1 Philippines peso was 225 Indonesian Rupiah at that time.


The boat stayed for almost a month in Indonesia before they were allowed to sail again. On their way home, they were also not able to catch a lot of tuna because they were already behind for a couple of days from the school of tuna who passed by their route. When they arrived, the computation resulted to a loss.

Wanting to recover from the loss, the JWDR fishing boat sailed again. For fifteen days we waited for good news. It brought quite a number of tuna when it docked. The sales were positive this time. But, because we still had a payable balance from the previous trip, it resulted to a break-even.

Two small boats. Photo Credits

I was highly affected by these turn of events because I was only depending on a single fishing boat. For Ramil, who had many boats, it wasn't a problem at all. So, my desire to have the newly built fishing boat sail in the soonest possible time greatly increased. I somewhat became impatient when I learned that there were still some other things that were not yet completed on our boat and I kept on telling Ramil to ask the crew to speed things up. I thought, if two heads are better than one, then, two boats would surely be better than one too.

Ramil totally knew what I felt and he just patiently reminded me not to rush things. He said, it would be better that it'll take time before the boat could sail as long as we can make sure that everything's in place than suffer the consequences and get into trouble.

Crossing fingers and hoping for everything to go as planned. Photo Credits

So, I just crossed my fingers and waited, waited, and waited...


No comments:

Post a Comment